Attribution: Herkie

Attribution: Herkie

What is Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals?

Deferred Action is a discretionary grant by the government which allows someone to stay in the U.S. for a period of two years. It also allows the opportunity to apply for work authorization. Certain young undocumented immigrants are now eligible to apply for this benefit.

Who will qualify for Deferred Action?

You may be eligible for Deferred Action if all of the following are true about your:

  • You are between the age of 15 and 31 years old.
  • You came to the U.S. before your 16th birthday.
  • You lived in the U.S. at least since June 15, 2007.
  • You're in school, graduated from high school, have your GED, or were honorably discharged from the armed forces or coast guard.
  • You've never been convicted of a crime (or just minor offenses).

I think I qualify! How do I apply for this?

Applications under the new policy are now being accepted by the government. Please contact us directly to speak to someone about your individual case and whether you should apply for Deferred Action.

What else should I do to prepare to apply?

The most important way to prepare is to gather documents which prove that you have fulfilled the requirements for eligibility. Here is a list of the types of documents that will help. The ones in bold are most important:

  • Passport
  • Consular/National I.D. (Matricula/Cedula)
  • Birth Certificate (original or certified copy)
  • Medical Record
  • Lease Agreement
  • Utility Bill (gas, electric, telephone, cable/satellite)
  • Paycheck
  • Tax Return
  • School Transcript
  • Report Card
  • School I.D.
  • Diploma
  • G.E.D. Certificate

You should also make a list of the addresses where you have lived since entering the U.S., and the dates of any trips you have taken outside the U.S. since your first entered.